This delicate, tummy-warming soup makes a lovely starter course for a formal holiday soirée.
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups cold nondairy milk, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon organic tamari (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place broccoli in steamer and steam over medium-low heat about 7 minutes or until it is crisp tender.
- Put the steamed broccoli, garlic, nondairy milk, tamari, salt, seasoning, cayenne and pepper into a blender and process on LOW until smooth, making sure to leave air space at top of blender to allow for steam to escape.
- If the soup is too thick, add more nondairy milk, 2 tablespoons at a time, to achieve the desired consistency, pulsing or blending briefly after each addition.
- Put the soup in to a medium soup pot and cook until heated through, stirring often. Add more nondairy milk, if needed, if soup is too thick. Serve immediately in deep soup bowls with whole grain crackers or crusty bread on the side.